Tuesday 3 March 2009

Tell her: Paris

As planned, I set out on my Shakespearean sojourn on Sunday, provisions and Holga medium format camera (incl. fish-eye lens) in my handlebar bag. A grey, still, dusty day. Empty streets. Here is a map of my planned itinerary (you may have to click 'view larger map' to see my actual route):



View Larger Map

The first stop on my tour, Gray's Inn, was bounded by an impregnable fence. I took a photo of the CCTV cameras and continued onwards. I stopped at Star Yard, a narrow-shouldered alley off Chancery Lane, to consult my notes. As I propped against the wall alongside my bike, a small party of people emerged from a low doorway. The procession moved silently past me before disappearing into an adjoining passageway beneath a fringe of spikes. An intermediary door lay ajar for a moment before someone quietly closed it from within.

I got on my bike and continued down the alleyway, emerging onto Fleet Street. Beneath my wheels, a river. The doors to Middle Temple Lane were closed. I coasted past, then turned down a small side entrance which took me unexpectedly into the shady interior.

Here it was startlingly silent, the city a distant haze of sound. I bore right onto Bell Lane. Middle Temple Hall rose before me, the Thames flowing just beyond. I carried my bike down a long flight of stairs, past a small man smoking a pipe at its foot, then sheepishly carried it back up again upon discovering that the gates were locked. I looked through a fence at a little cell of greenery bordered by carefully ordered flower gardens.

Re-mounting, I jounced down a precipitous cobbled street, past a toll-gate, and up and along to Ireland Yard and Playhouse Yard. For several minutes I went up and down the pathways, retracing my wheels.

In the midst of these circumlocutions I became aware of a man hovering behind me, shifting in and out of my peripheral vision. I glanced back. He was astride a black British Brompton, the well-known folding bike. I was uncertain how long he'd been there.

Assuming he wanted to pass, I pulled to one side, but he drew silently back. Experimentally I veered left -- he followed smartly. We continued in formation through the quiet, narrow streets.

I was considering engaging my silent pursuer in conversation when he suddenly accelerated and shot past me, then abruptly turned down a side street. I passed in time to see him step through a doorway, the bike folded neatly beneath his arm, and close the door.

I stopped at the next turning to take a photograph. As I focussed I happened to look up into the face of a woman observing me through a window. She was standing wordlessly with a telephone pressed to her ear. Above us at an oblique angle I could see the lower-half of a man seated at his desk, his bare ankle jiggling.

Around a corner was another bedroom-sized garden. It was locked, too.

Ireland Yard, Playhouse Yard: nothing here now but place names. But what did I expect to find? I wondered to myself.

I stopped at a pub, my bike locked to a rail. I listened to a group of complaining builders. 'If she asks about the room, I'll just say: Paris,' said one of them, cryptically.

I continued, crossing the Thames via the structurally dubious Millennium Bridge. The Tate Modern's giant finger loomed. I merely skirted the simulacrum Globe. I wanted to find the Rose Theatre. Closed. I saw some drawings of roses on a building and stopped to take a photograph.

A door opened further up the street and a man appeared. He said something. Then: 'Excuse me! Oh… you're taking a photo.' He promptly withdrew and closed the door.

I continued onwards to the site of the original Globe. Again, a fence prevented access, but I could make out the bricked outline of the circular foundations in the carpark.

I proceeded to Southwark Cathedral, then back across the Thames.

I became lost in Dalston. Coffee in Columbia Flower Market.

A brief detour through Haggerston Park, re-orienting myself with the help of my A-Z.

Eventually I found a plaque on Curtain Road, Shoreditch, designating the site of the Theatre, now occupied by the offices of a real estate conglomerate.

I noted both bar-end plugs had fallen out of my handelbars during the course of my journey.

Nothing really remained but the shape of the streets, and the rivers.

Homewards.


2 comments:

  1. A surreal journey! There's something sinister about that folding bike rider. Almost like something out of Batman Begins.
    What about the photos - are you going to post them?
    I've just got back from a trip to the vege markets. After lugging a backpack filled with bananas and broccoli (why did i choose the sharpest and lumpiest fruits and vegetables?!) I'm thinking about getting a good carrier (my new bike doesn't have one yet) or some panniers. The thing about panniers though, is that so few people in Wellington have them that anyone who does looks a bit mad. But I guess that's a small price to pay for being able to arrive at your destination without a big sweaty back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyelash!

    The photos are waiting to be developed but I will post them soon.

    In the interests of utility and convenience, I highly recommend getting a carrier and panniers. There's no need to get a sweaty back in this day and age.

    It remains to be see whether Brompton Man makes a reapparance...

    ReplyDelete