Monday 16 March 2009

Every cyclist needs a satchel


Recently I acquired one of The Cambridge Satchel Company's fine satchels -- just like the ones in the photo above. After placing my order with proprietor Julie Dean, who recommended vintage brown to match my Brooks saddle, I was delighted to receive a sturdy parcel wrapped in brown paper and string, with a handwritten tag! I don't use that exclamation mark lightly (in fact, I think it could be the first one on this blog*). Isn't it wonderful to receive a proper package -- or indeed a letter -- in the mail?

My new satchel has since performed admirably, whether holding my Holga or the weekend paper. Not only that, it has the comforting heft of A Thing Well-Made. I have a feeling it will provide years of satisfying use. I love the tiny little engraved bicycle riding along its lower edge.

Julie kindly agreed to let me interview her via email.

What would you put in your satchel (or batchel, for that matter) before a weekend bike ride?

I know what I wouldn't put in -- my phone! A lovely cycle ride with no interruptions, so a book, a bottle of wine and some string to tie around the top and let it chill in the river... two glasses, a corkscrew and a dog biscuit (my husband and Rupert the boxer must be catered for!). The children would be along too, so one of those foil frisbees that can be inflated -- they are great fun. There, perfect, now all we need is good weather....

What are the prerequisites of a good satchel?
The satchel is a design classic -- before starting The Cambridge Satchel Company I bought many satchels, claiming to be satchels but falling far from expectations. A real satchel must have the right proportions, you just know the real thing when you see it. The smell must take you straight back to the cloak room at school, there must be no fussiness, no frills. It must stand on its own with never a suggestion of having been run over (I have seen many a sorry looking flat satchel). It must be made in England.

Tell us about a satchel that’s played an important role in your life.

There have been two great satchels in my life -- the very first one made for The Cambridge Satchel Company, with the logo on the back... ah, to see my business become a reality. The second was a nifty little 11" red, requested by a customer in Scotland -- that was the one that opened my eyes to the potential of colour. Now we offer satchels in vintage brown, dark brown and black for those retro fans, red, navy and bubblegum pink for the trendsetters and soon to come, two new colours...

Can you tell us anything about your rumoured collaboration with Pashley?
It is true that discussions are afoot for the ultimate satchel to meet up with one of Britain's most well respected bicycle manufacturers. Any resulting bike friendly satchel will be beautiful, classic, well made and something to drool over -- just ask my boxer!

Special delivery: I had some assistance
opening the package

* Oh, I see I used one or two to announce the formulation of the Te Kuiti Cycle Club. Of which, more soon!

1 comment:

  1. The brown paper package (with string and tag) is a wonderful touch - I hadn't had a package like that until I got the bell from you in the mail. I'm going to keep the string and the tag - they seem precious somehow ! I'm still on the lookout for a good bike satchel. There's nothing like the Cambridge company here, dammit. The Guardian had a list of "best bags for cycling" a few days ago, but they were all kinda sporty, bland looking things. At the moment I'm using a red bag that has "HI" on one side and "BYE" on the other but it's not sturdy enough to carry my things and to withstand ol' man winter coming through. There's a mighty southerly today.
    Got a flatty on my way to work this morning. Wellington's roads are full of smashed beer bottles! I really oughta learn how to fix a puncture.

    ReplyDelete